Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Lesson of the Day

Work ranting aside: if your pre-paid cell phone minutes expire on Monday, don't wait until Tuesday to refill.

Now that we've established that, I hope everyone's Tuesday is headache-free.
I've been building you up to describe my situation accurately, but I'm going to digress for a day or two (because I'm training someone right now.)

Well, this is the problem. I am currently training someone so she can answer the PI requests on the days when I am not in the office (that's Thursday and Friday of this week!!). This is all fine, I like having a regular back-up person. The problem that I have is that there is no one in my office, who doesn't already do something important, who I would trust with this work. This individual that they've picked has a nasty habit of adding zero's to the font of account numbers to make them fit our system. Our system could be wrong, you see. If we say the account number must be ten digits, and the customer only provided a nine digit number, adding a zero to the front does not make it right! She has been spoken to about this, and still continues to do it. I think she's going to take a lot of shortcuts, and when you're talking about someone's bill getting paid, that's never good.

So, I'm busy training someone who I believe is not cut out for the job. It's not that I think she can't learn, but that she hasn't yet and it's not worth the risk. But, I'm just a peon, I have no say in the matter.