Friday, December 08, 2006

It Took me Four Days to Hitchhike from Saginaw

There's a major AT&T/SBC/Ameritech processing center in Saginaw Michigan, and every time I see it in OBC's lovely database, the above line from Simon & Garfunkel jumps into my head.

I happen to like that song, so it's mostly ok.

I actually did 45 minutes on my elliptical last night. I crawled into bed, but it wasn't so bad. There's nothing like feeling like you're actually doing something good for yourself.

By the way, I know some of you are also trying to make healthier choices in life so I'm going to give you a tip. I am by no means an authority, but I have found something that works for me. Keep an exercise journal. In it, you can write the date, periodically record your weight and measurements, and right down what you did as far as physical activity. For example, my entry for last night will show that I worked on the elliptical on level 1 in the evening, and records how many minutes, the distance, and calories burned from the machine's read-out. Somedays, I'll have an AM entry (like 25 minutes on the Pilates machine) and a PM entry (like 15 minutes on the elliptical and the stats).

Keeping a journal kind of keeps me moving, as in "I really need to work out, I haven't updated my journal in two days." And you can also use it to track your progress, like how your weight and measurements might change week to week.

Anyway, just a thought.

Counting the cars on the New Jersey Turnpike, they've all come to look for America.

2 comments :

Willow Goldentree said...

I have been considering doing a workout journal! Then I thought, why not post it on my blog? Then I thought, that would look either really egotistical, or show how much I DON'T work out. hehehe Thanks for the advice though. Maybe I'll post a huge paper on the wall behind my computer to every day it's staring me in the face until I enter some sort of workout data. Yeah...that might work for me.

Unknown said...

I think a journal for exercise tracking is better because it's more noticeable when you skip a day. If you add it to your daily blog, it could be easily forgotten and therefore not serve as a motivational tool. Make sense? Give it a try anyway. I always feel bad when I miss filling out a day in my journal, it might work for you!