Monday, January 22, 2007

I'm sorry!

I couldn't get a picture of our pretty snow.

It wasn't enough to give me a snow day either. Everything was going pretty great until the last 30 minutes of my day.

Acting Sup sent an e-mail to our little group asking if anyone else was experiencing slowness with the Remedy application. I was every now and then, but I've gotten used to it, and it wasn't freezing up totally. Just as I was ready to hit reply, WAM turns around and asks the two people who usually work Remedy (which includes me) if we noticed any issues. I turned and said "I'm on the same e-mail list you are, I see the message, you don't have to tell me about it." So WAM focused on the other person, 'acting sup wants to know if you guys are having any problems.' or something. The other person who primarily works Remedy said "I'm the only one in Remedy right now!" What the @%*$#(&^#& do you think I've been doing all day???

Then, about 10 minutes later, Acting Sup sends me a project. I didn't think I was project girl, and I don't want to be. I decided not to apply for that position because it would mean looking at spreadsheets all day and I don't think my eyes can take it. So, I don't want to be given the special projects. Part of me wants to do half a job on this so they won't give me any more. I have enough stress in my life, I don't need client deadlines added to it.

Don't worry, I can't do half a job. It's just not in my nature. I'd have to do more work than it would take to do the actual job. Ok, ok, I know that's why they want me on the project. But I still don't have to like it. It's not like this place is a career for me, nor do I see myself working here in 4 years or so. In fact, I see myself moving far far away. So, unless they let me telework or plan to open an office in far far away, it's a means to an end and only a matter of time.

The side street we take to get to the office was a sheet of ice this morning. And the office park drive. And the parking lot. I was certain the side street at least would have been plowed, because school buses have to go there, but I guess they figured everything would melt by the end of the two hour delay. I can't say if it did or not, because I don't have a window, but that last bit of my commute was the worst of it. Maybe everything will freeze tonight and I can have an excuse to not go in tomorrow (and that would get me out of the project). It's doubtful, but one can always hope.

1 comment :

Willow Goldentree said...

I have always felt that way about my jobs. When the bosses ask if you want to take on more work, take a position with more responsibility but not pay, or work more hours? My response is usually, this is not my career, NO!

You should swear at WAM too. :-D Take a tape recorder so you can record it for me too. I'd love to hear it! hehehe

I have a suggestion for your windowless cube too. Glen's parents have one and it's so cool. It's about $100, and is a picture frame that uses a photo card and cycles through all your photos. Or you can upload a bunch of photos to the frame from your computer and look at all sorts of fun shots from various trips and events.

It kept my attention for hours over Yule when I had to deal with sis-in-law. "What? Oh, I'm sorry, I'm looking at pictures, don't bother me."