Tuesday, March 06, 2007

I'm a Planner

I have to plan things in advance. It's not that I don't like doing things spontaneously, but, how can I say this? I don't have a whole lot of friends (that's not important anyway) but I am very close to the few I have. They all like to take entire days of my time (ie, we can't just get together for a movie in the evening, it has to be shopping and dinner and a movie that takes the whole day). This isn't so bad, really, except I don't get a whole lot of 'me' time as it is. And if I don't plan, plan, PLAN, I may end up double-booking.

Despite my best efforts, this weekend managed to get quadruple-booked. Gees, I think it's even more than that.

First is Saturday. Miss Luna needs to go to the vet for her annual shots. This is way overdue and is not negotiable.
Then, Turtle wanted me to visit her in Richmond for a charity hockey game. Hockey isn't my game, going to Richmond would include booking Sunday as well, and my aforementioned date from V-day will be there.
Monty wanted to catch dinner and The Number 23. I thought that we were going to do this last weekend. Apparently, we never actually mentioned dates to each other, so this is how this happened.
Or, I could have dinner with my grandmother and aunt on her last night here.
On Sunday, I have to take my Aunt to the airport. Or see that movie with Monty. Or drive home from Richmond. Or play a board game with Fox since I missed his annual birthday game (it's the more involved, all-day games that he and some friends get together to play).

Of course, a lot about Sunday depends on what I do on Saturday. If I don't go to Richmond, then I'd join my aunt for dinner, so Monty's movie is out. Fox already gave me leave to go to Richmond instead of his game, so that won't be done. Technically, my weekend in Richmond could start on Friday night, except Miss Luna needs her shots.

Are you confused yet? There's Turtle (and V-date), Fox, Monty, and my mother (who goes with the cat and my aunt) who want a piece of my time this weekend.

So it would seem that going to Richmond is the thing that will get done. Two people want me there, and another doesn't mind altering our plans so I can go without feeling like I let someone down. So, I can leave after Miss Luna's appointment on Saturday morning. If I drive down with my friend, we'd be back pretty early on Sunday because he has to work. That would give me time to take my aunt to the airport and then maybe take in that movie with Monty. And I'll do the game with Fox another day.

Anyone want to trade schedules? This will be another one of those weekends where I don't do anything for me.

Don't get me wrong, I want to see Turtle in Richmond. But at a hockey game is not how I enjoy spending my time. I'll have to bring a book to read or write or something.

I bet you're wondering why I don't just tell some of these people no, right? It's the guilt-tripping. That's really a rotten way to make someone spend time with you, but most of my friends do it. They try to convince me of why they are more deserving of my time, or how much more important their plans are than any other plans. I hate hearing those arguments, so I end up squeezing every ounce possible into my schedule just so I don't have to hear them complain about why they were the ones left out. Yes, it does make me resentful. And tired. And resentful. Maybe if everyone was more understanding about plans, it wouldn't happen. You can see I'm already resentful and the weekend isn't even here yet.

Overtime this week, booked solid for the weekend, probably overtime next week too. And my next vacation is not nearly close enough!

2 comments :

Willow Goldentree said...

Hey, you want to come over this weekend? *wink*

I feel your pain- boy do I ever. When will you get the Fyrecreek time? Nothing I could say could help this situation but, enjoy any and all alone time you can get. Oh, here's an idea for a quick Fyrecreek time! After taking Miss Luna to the vet, go grab some coffee and sit and enjoy. Even if only for 10 minutes. You'll be happy.

Unknown said...

YES! But you know one weekend just won't do! ;)