Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Happy Independence Day

We were going to kayak today like we do on all warm-weather holidays, but alas! The unexpected jolt of Monday made that impossible. I actually felt well enough in the morning to go (thanks to you, drugs!), but I was sure it wouldn't last long. It was such a beautiful day, I couldn't just spend it inside though.

So, we celebrated Independence Day by eating breakfast on the back patio (the first time this year, actually). I spent the rest of the morning dying the fleece for my puppet. This was an interesting process. I found an old plastic tub that was large enough, an old dowel rod that had been many things in it's day (a wand, a lightsaber, a sword, a mold for ring making, many things indeed!) to stir it, and, surprisingly, enough salt. This was a process because it involved constant stirring and that didn't feel too nice. But the dye took well and now it just has to dry. Poor Miss Luna can't go into my brother's old room while it's drying. She's distraught!

Then we got in touch with Fox and Fae and walked to Annapolis. We ate lunch at the Market House. I had a huge yummy hot dog and some Boardwalk Fries (diets don't count on holidays and vacations, you know). We were going to try to take one of the boat rides, but the timing wasn't quite right. The one that we could make was more money than we wanted to pay on a non-paycheck week. So, we did some window shopping instead and got some yummy ice cream. By then, that was all the walking around that my shoulders, back, and ankle could take and dad was starting to hurt too. So, home we went.

We never get to see fireworks because they start too late for us and morning comes very early in the morning. I'll be going to bed to the distant booming of intentional explosives, I'm sure. Next year, though, we can paddle out to Annapolis and watch the fireworks from the comfort of our kayaks. I've been wanting to do that since I started kayaking! I'm so glad the 4th will be Friday next year.

Now, it's time to sit back with a good videotape of Independence Day (I'm talking about the 1996 film, here!).

3 comments :

Willow Goldentree said...

"(diets don't count on holidays and vacations, you know)."

Good! We've got all sorts of goodies to eat when you get here. :D

Unknown said...

Oh, I just heard that it also doesn't count if you eat it off someone else's plate! ;)

Willow Goldentree said...

hahahaha! Good to know!