Saturday, August 25, 2007

Get Up and Celebrate!

Congratulations, Joyce and James!

I make it no secret to you, faithful blog readers, that weddings are non-existent on my list of things I enjoy doing. Yet, I get invited to them, and I go to them. Maybe it's because I recognize that such a day is special to someone who, in some way or form, want to share it with me.

Today was my neighbor's wedding. She has lived in that house only a little less years than my parents have lived in this one. I went to school and played with her twin sons, who are my age. We're not in each other's houses every night, but we chat pleasantly when we cross paths near daily. She's a constant. There are few people in this neighborhood who are the original owners of their houses, but my parents are, and she is. We have known her for a very long time.

We had seen her now-husband around, and she talked about the fun things they would do together during those yard work chat times. He is a very pleasant man. Even so, when the invitation arrived to be at their wedding, it was a bit of a surprise to us, and not at the same time.

I wasn't out-of-my-socks excited about going to this wedding (which is true for all weddings, in general), but I am so very glad I did. I've been to quite a few wedding ceremonies and celebrations, and we've already established that I'm not particularly fond of them. This was, so far, the best wedding I have ever had the pleasure to attend.

There was something surreal about it, maybe because we have known her for so long. Her ceremony was lovely, her reception was wonderful, and though we didn't know all but one of her guests, everyone was wonderful. It was a great way to spend the afternoon.

I am honored that she invited my parents and I, and very happy that we went. So I'll say it again; Congratulations, Joyce and James. If every day you spend together is as glorious as this one, you will have a very happy life together indeed.

No comments :