Monday, February 25, 2008

Strange How Things Come and Go

I've been drawing quite a lot lately, and I'm not just talking about the sordid little comic I've been posting when I have nothing else to say. I used to doodle all the time. I imagine very few people didn't, actually. I have kept pages of class notes because of some nifty doodle that I drew on them. I recently found a pile of those pages, along with some old sketch books, filled with smudges drawings and covered in the graphite dust of a decade and a half of age.

When those sketch books were new, Kaliis and I were making a comic. It was quite an elaborate fantasy world we thought up, with one main story and a plethora of spin-offs, filled with races of new, fantastic creatures and spins on easily recognizable ones. Truly, I haven't done any real drawing since. (It should be obvious that our comic world didn't get far past a few issues and stories. Never published, of course. And she was, by leaps and bounds, a far better artist than I.)

Sure, I have my expensive 3D design programs, and I love throwing things together on them, but few things compare with scratching a pencil across a piece of paper and seeing something wonderful emerge. I bet that's something even more special for an actual artist who has some talent. But, it's fun to do and it passes the time and I don't have to be sitting at a computer to create something, the fact that I'm any good at it is irrelevant to what it can do for the psyche.

During the course of my morning, I was hit by a realization with regards to my writing; something I had been doing but didn't know there was a word for it. This led me to want to draw it out, which I admit I have yet to do. See, I only have computer paper at my disposal, and I'd really rather hammer out this idea with one of my smoky sketch books.

I'm not a drawing artist in the slightest, but it's quite strange that I'm searching for occasion to draw at the moment.

Oh, and among the recently uncovered pages of class notes with doodles on them, I also found three out of the for Origami books that my mother had bought for my brother and I when we were children. Three of the four books that turned me into a paper folder! My room is a gold mine!

No comments :