Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Trusting Instincts

Remember LDS and her garden gnome inspiration? She made her way to the doctor yesterday, certain he was going to tell her she had some freaky tumor. No, there really is a garden gnome in there, and she's been feeling it kick. She came to me this morning, mostly laughing and quite shocked, to tell me the news.

Her "affliction" has been going on for months. Five to six months, actually. She joked that other mothers get nine months to prepare and she gets to do it in three. She also joked that she used to make fun of those women who didn't know they were pregnant, and is now one of them. If you don't know how to recognize the signs, I guess you could miss it. I had my suspicions; she's one of those people who likes to say she can't have kids. Apparently, the plumbing works fine.

So, for all you ladies out there who think it's just intense stress, consider your signs: feeling and getting sick, back aches, unexplained weight gain, and maybe feeling something moving around in your intestines. Look out; you just might actually have something moving around in there!

I told her if she had a girl, she could name her Naomi and call her Nome for short (I knew someone in college with said nickname). She and her girlfriend are going to have their hands full in a few months.

People around the office like to joke that there's something in the water that makes people pregnant. It does seem to happen a lot here. What's really funny is that whenever it comes up, everyone always turns to me like I'm going to be next. If that's the case, I hope everyone is prepared for the Second Coming.

I already made her a gnome, but now I wonder if I can make a little birthing doll....

2 comments :

Megan McGory Gleason said...

That is tooo funny! I think I would completely freak out if I felt something kicking and had no idea I was pregnant.

If it's a boy, she could always name him David, after David the Gnome! lol

Unknown said...

David the Gnome! That's great! I was having a hard time coming up with a gnomish boy's name.

It's actually funny to hear her complaining today. The only thing that's really changed is knowledge. But, I guess it was shock enough. She said everyone knew but her. Yeah, everyone did!