Monday, May 12, 2008

Because You Know You Want to Know

It is very likely that I'll be moving to Northern Virginia in a month or so. I met a young lady on my camping weekend who suddenly found herself in need of a new place to live and a new roommate. I don't even know how it came up, but she asked if I was willing, and anyone who knows me knows that I'm ready to be out of here.

She's an EMT and I think is studying further in the medical field. She currently lives a bit northwest of me. We decided that we can find a midpoint to where she needs to be everyday and where I need to be in NoVA. On the recommendation of some friends, she consulted with a realtor, who sent us some options and we're going to try to look at them later this week.

We're both about the same income-wise or, at least, in what we're willing to spend on rent. She has two cats and I have two cats; that should be interesting. We also think we can work something out so that when the mobile opportunity opens back up, I'll be able to take it. (I'm not holding my breath there, the sales lady didn't give me an eta the last time we talked.) Sure, I was hoping to avoid needing a roommate, actually I was hoping to avoid needing to rent, altogether, but it’s just not possible to do that and stay in this area where most of the things and people I love are.

Pat is exceptionally excited because I'll be closer to him and we can hang out more. I'm happy that I'll be closer to work, and not living with my parents, and living with someone who I think I will get along with famously, and not living with my parents. Did I mention that I'm happy about not living with my parents? Don't get me wrong, I'm ever so grateful for what they've done for me, but I'm starving for some clean air. Pat mentioned just the other day how extremely detached I've been lately. And he's right. The fact that the mobile didn't work out for me sent me into some of the lowest moments I've ever been in. Even now, I'm thoroughly resisting the urge to turn this into a "why do things never work out for me?" rant. Though I very well could bore you for hours with those thoughts.

This is a much-needed opportunity, and I need it to work out. I can't take another life failure. Stop there, I said I wasn't going in that direction. And I need it to work out. I need to be out on my own, to live a little, to express that I am an adult and no longer mommy and daddy's little girl, or the shield they use between each other. I still know it won't be perfect, but I see many great things happening when I leave here: living with a new friend who is on a similar spiritual wavelength as I, being closer to other friends and the opportunities that will come with that, and being further away from my parents will make my time with them more special. I'm tired of feeling like I'm sixteen and have to clear everything I do with mom and dad. It's time.

If nothing else, it's time.

2 comments :

Inyanna said...

By the Goddess, Dearest, I hope this works out the way you want it to.

Unknown said...

Thank you. This is plan B. I have a plan C if this doesn't work out, but plan C is also the last resort that I really don't want to have to do.

We're going to check out some places tomorrow. It should be fun. It would be more fun if it was house-hunting, not rent-hunting.