Thursday, August 21, 2008

Spirit Dolls

Well, here we are!

The thing I had made for Phoenix's birthday was a phoenix: a Spirit Doll.

Spirit Dolls come from Native American traditions; I've found most evidence of them in some Inuit ways. In the simplest form, they are dolls that embody some quality or ability that a person wants to bring into themselves. They can be made of any material, and are often decorated or stuffed with things that aid whatever quality or ability they represent.

The phoenix was the third spirit doll I have made, and I have plans for many more. Mine are made out of fabric, embellished with anything from yarn to feathers, and decorated with gemstones, crystals, certain wood. They are stuffed with herbs, leaves, and polyfil.

Check out the Spirit Dolls page in the Meet My Dolls section of my website to have a look at my Spirit Dolls. More will come! That's one of the things I've been doing with this overflow of creative energy.

No comments :