Thursday, December 25, 2008

Happy Christmas Day

I stopped celebrating Christmas some years ago. Still, Phoenix and I opened gifts to Christmas tunes and drank egg nog while we made pancakes for breakfast. There's no reason why we can't take advantage of a day off, right?

After breakfast, Phoenix took a nap and I played on the computer some. Then we prepared dinner: yummy chicken injected with wine, mashed potatoes, and peas.

Holiday gatherings with my family usually involve someone, either directly or indirectly, commenting on my singleness. I couldn't escape that today either. Phoenix kindly believes there is someone for everyone. That may be true, but if I don't find my someone soon, it will be too late. One of our friends tried to encourage me by saying that she didn't meet her husband until she was thirty-five. That's all well and good, but she already had two kids from a previous marriage before that, and neither of them wanted more. If "the one" shows up when I can't have children anymore, what the hell is the point?

It doesn't matter. I don't expect someone to knock on my door and I know perfectly well that I'm never in a situation where meeting someone is possible. I just need to keep saving so I can get a little spinster's house and fill it with lots of cats. I can be like that crazy lady in The Happening who lived in the middle of nowhere with no connection to the outside world. That sounds nice.

After not escaping the "Fyrecreek is alone" conversation, we ate an exceptionally tasty dinner and spent the evening with Sense and Sensibility while soaking our feet with our faces covered in an electric blue facial mask. Now, it's time for sleeping!

No comments :