Friday, December 26, 2008

Occupation

Even with one person in my group out of the office, I'm not inundated with work today. I'm not even moderately engaged, actually. I'm working slower than I know I can, because more work just isn't there.

One of my coworkers, who has been curious as to why we pulled someone from another group (they brought LDS over a few weeks ago, though they say it's temporary) instead of giving that work to me, asked Adolf and Boss² why that was. He kindly reported that they have some plan for me. We guessed it's just not ready to happen yet. That's a comfort, I guess. I hope it means they understand why I'm producing so little work: that it's not because I'm not working, but that the work just isn't here for me to do. I know many people would enjoy that, but I have a somewhat unique work ethic. I'd much rather be busy than to sit around and get paid for doing nothing (it makes for faster days too, when you're busy).

And, while I was typing this and working, I finished all the work that had so far been given to me. 1100 can't come soon enough. That's when I don't have to be ready to take calls (which haven't happened yet) and can pass the time with my iPod. That will help. A bit. I have a small army of origami spiders on my desk from the slowness the past couple weeks. I've even had to throw a few away because the paper tore. I guess this year's daily origami calendar has less-quality paper than the previous two years. It was a different brand. Phoenix got me the 2009 calendar, and that is the original brand that I had been getting. So, for the record, Workman Publishing's Page-A-Day calendar does not have very good paper (though, it did have some nifty models). And, unless they've changed something in the year that I didn't have one of theirs, Accord Publishing's Fold-a-Day calendar has much better quality paper. It actually holds up to the complex spider model. I'm running out of star paper too (again).

No comments :