Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Sometimes

Sometimes, I consider myself a writer. I have a multitude of stories in my head. I create new ones for things like TV shows that I enjoy as practice. It's one of my many hobbies. On occasion, I will write while at work on a notepad. It started out as something to do while on hold, as the system we use prevents us from doing other work while on hold.

This particular story that I've been working on is currently called my steampunk experiment, though, it's about as steampunk as Back to the Future (the third one, with the steam time machine at the very end). I started writing this story in a first person perspective. I don't do that very often, but it was helping me flesh out the fantasy world I had created. Whenever I write a first person perspective story, I always (always, always) get to a point where there is something I want the reader to know that the main character would not witness. So far, I've been able to work around that every time. The answers come when they're needed, I guess.

Yesterday, I finished the first part of this three-part story. It's still in the roughest of rough drafts stage, it is an experiment, after all, but I feel accomplished just the same. Lags in work are getting fewer, and I am grateful for it, but I've been re-inspired to fill those voids during my day with a little bit of story work. I think I will keep writing as I have been. I'm not yet ready to go back and smooth it out of the roughest of rough drafts stage. It will come. For now, the journey is half the fun.

I always get big dreams when I start a new story (this particular one has been in the works for almost a year). Usually, something new will come up and I won't actually finish writing it. This happens a lot, but it doesn't keep me from dreaming about new book scent coming from a volume with my name on it. And it doesn't stop me from dreaming about who I would want in the screenplay versions. Whether I ever publish something or not, writing keeps me creative. Today, I designed a cover for this tale. Since I don't have any of my digital images back on my website yet, I know you want to see it. Just for you, dear blog readers. May your dreams be filled with Zeppelins!

No comments :