Tuesday, February 24, 2009

You Have to Think About That

Yesterday, I learned the power of a close community to spread important news. It's more than a community, it's a family. In a matter of hours, we all knew what had happened.

I use "knew" very loosely. We really don't know anything. It was sudden and unexpected, even though we knew he had been struggling for a while. This was never in the framework of possible outcomes.

First, we thought of his struggle. Then of his wife and children. Then of the event he was helping us plan. My friend said she felt bad for thinking about it at all.

But, we have to. He was coordinating much and, though we must go on without him, we must go on. It doesn't feel right and it doesn't feel fair, but we have to.

I knew him for a short amount of time compared with others of my chosen family, but I have yet to meet a kinder gentleman.

Dear friend, I know your pain has ended. I find comfort there, and I hope your friends and family do too.

No comments :