Wednesday, May 13, 2009

What is Responsibility?

I was doing some light research today on a healing technique that I heard about years ago. I'm not here to go into this method, but to contemplate this information paraphrased from Dr Ihaleakala Hew Len: Joe Vitale writes, "total responsibility for your life means that everything in your life - simply because it is in your life - is your responsibility. In a literal sense the entire world is your creation."

While this is a huge concept to grasp, it is relatively simple. My faith reminds me that my thoughts manifest my reality. In one sense, if I am angry, I feel it not just in my mind, but in my body. If I don't want my body to feel the tight fists, gritted teeth, narrow eyes, and nerves shaking, I need to not be angry. No one makes me angry, you see, that is my own response. No one tells me how I feel, I react. You may say I can't control what someone does to me, but the truth is that only I can. That's my responsibility and no one controls it but me. Nothing outside makes me think or do or say.

If I am responsible for my life, it includes all of my life. My job is a part of my life, as is my home, my cat, my roommate, my parents. While it is true that the people in my life are responsible for themselves, I too am responsible for them, because I control my life.

You may have heard people say that we are caretakers of our planet. We are, it is our responsibility as it is a part of each and every one of our respective lives.

I do have responsibility to every thing in my life. I can see how I am responsible for every thing in my life too. This is to a point, of course. My responsibility does not give me the right to impose upon the free will of another. In fact, not doing that is part of my responsibility. If I am caretaker to everything in my life, I can only control my thoughts, feelings, and actions towards them. This is where my thoughts manifest. If they manifest anger towards someone, anger is what they will be. Some anger is necessary, I am only human, but holding on to it is not. It's important to allow it to pass as it should, and manifest love in its place.

That is my responsibility.

I must admit that work got too busy for me to think on this as deeply as I want. I'll ponder more as I go.

No comments :