Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Elusivity

A sleep-deprived brain can create words that don't exist with ease. Somehow, one thinks this word should exist, and wonders why it does not. Funny thing is, it must exist, because it's in use in many places, but it's not entered in the dictionary, or the Unword Dictionary. Does that seem right to you?

Elusivity: noun the quality or state of being elusive

And, we all hate when a word is defined with a form of itself, so we go to Merriam-Webster Online to see what elusive means. Which is "tending to elude." Bother. One degree of definition is about all I have in me.

In any event, I'm talking about the elusivity of sleep. The tendency of that thing that living creatures need so much to evade us in times of trial or worry.

I haven't been sleeping the past couple nights. I've really been cat-napping. Because, you see, if Miss Luna experiences some distress in the night, I need to be awake for it. So, I've spent the last couple nights dozing while she beats her ear. This should, naturally, tell me that all is well(ish) so I don't have to spend my nights not really sleeping. She did wake up in the wee hours of yesterday morning and let out a weird howl, but I think she was just having a bad dream.

It remains to be seen if I'll get any sleep tonight. I do fully plan to go home and take a nap. We'll see how this works out.

No comments :