Monday, May 23, 2011

Judgment Day

I went to Wine in the Woods, a great big wine tasting festival in Columbia, with Jack and one of his friends, who I think I will call Rachel, on Saturday. I suppose there were some people who thought it a good time to eat, drink, and be merry before the big catching up that was supposed to happen. Those people would say I would have been left behind, but Jesus and I are tight and he would have taken me even though his followers consider me a heathen. I'm sure of it.

Anyway, this is what I remember from Saturday:

Everything got fuzzy and kind of sparkly.

That might have been the many glasses of wine.

I distinctly heard the sound of bells.

Or, maybe that was the sound of my wine glass shattering when I dropped it.

Before I knew it, I was in a soft, warm place and I felt safe and protected.

But that might have been when Jack and I took a nap after we got back to his place.


Judgment, or wine?


Seriously, though, I'm not one to make fun of someone's beliefs but I really have a hard time accepting that so many people spent so much money (that they need to live on) because of one flawed man's idea of the end of days. Really, people - all you believers, the Bible tells you that this thing called Rapture will happen. That's fine, live your life not knowing when you're going to go, ok. That same Bible tells you that no man will know the date. Stop trying to figure it out, that's not how it's supposed to work.

Now, I don't believe as you do, but you can't take one part of the Book and deny the other if you're going to build your faithful life around it. I do not understand how you can believe it will happen but ignore that you've already been told that you won't know when. I bet Yahweh moves the date with every prediction just to keep you guessing. Stop trying to know something that is beyond human capacity to know. Just live your life being a kind, compassionate person who might be taken from this world tomorrow, or next year, or never.

It makes me sad that so many people were so misled.

No comments :