Wednesday, May 31, 2006

What's So Special

I'm sure all of you have heard of the profiling, networking, internet giant called MySpace. What's so special about it? I mean, really. I'd really like to know. I get several people a day asking me why I'm not on MySpace. "Everyone is there" they say.

At the suggestion of a few people, I created a profile on one of those online meeting/dating websites (hereafter referred to as omdw, while I'm still feeling it out) a few weeks ago. I've seen how some of them work by watching a friend. For the most part, you can't get anywhere unless you're tricky or give them money. I understand capitalism just fine, but I'm not going to part with my hard-earned cash unless I know what I'm paying for is worth it. Why pay for nothing?

Ironically, while I was driving into work this morning, I started thinking the omdw was not a good idea (not a bad one, mind, more like a 'why' kind of idea) and was going to pull my free, can't-do-anything-anyway profile from it today or soon™. When I checked my e-mail this morning, I actually had a few hits waiting for me. (ASIDE!! I'm at work, of course, and had to type a customer's name. The name was Hess, but for some reason, Hell is what I typed. I thought it was funny.) Of course, that's all well and good, and these gents look pretty interesting, but I still don't know if the site is worth my limited greenbacks.

What does this have to do with the initial MySpace question? I'll tell you. Being the intuitive, queen of dig that I am, I know that anyone can find me if they but know my screenname (try it, Google Fyrecreek and see what you get). I went out on a limb and googled the screenname of one of the hits I got this morning. Sure enough, they use the same screenname in various places, including MySpace. And then, yet again, I've been asked why I'm not on MySpace.

Frankly, it's the little kids/predators hype that keeps me away. Yes, I know, I'm not a little kid, and I know that I'd easily deflect those nasty people who prey on them, and I know that MySpace isn't the only site of its kind so the problem happens elsewhere. But there is the fact that MySpace is pretty much the only site that ever gets named by the media in such cases, they should have some responsibility, and I therefore want nothing to do with them. Maybe it's just a matter of principal. Also, every profile I've ever seen on MySpace looks all jumbled and messy. At least my websites have a sense of order. (They do, don't they? You'd tell me if my layouts looked awful or junky, right?)

Besides, I don't need a MySpace blog. That's what this site is for!

1 comment :

Anonymous said...

Your sites & all you dois very nicely done & ordered

tired Fox