Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Too Sad

I just read an article about the increase of pet abandonment in this hard economic time. I couldn't imagine having to give up my beloved pet. If it's her or me, I'd have to pick her. My cat eats, my cat has essentials. If I have to live on ramen, I live on ramen. If I have to move, I go to a place that allows my cat. I could not just abandon her.

I understand that times are tough. I still have a job and many people do not. I get this. I just don't understand how this life, a beloved and trusting companion who depends upon its human caretakers for food and shelter and love, can become expendable.

I know for a fact that I would be in much worse shape, mentally and emotionally, were it not for my cat. Her presence brings me joy. She it a part of my plan if I should have to evacuate my home. When I took her in, I made a commitment, a promise. I have no intention of rescinding that. If times get harder, I will still have her.

It makes me sad that people can be in such a difficult place that these little lives are suddenly unimportant to them. I'm sure they don't see it that way. They see dropping their animals off as their last service to their pets. The problem is that everyone is doing it, and most animals meet their end at the shelter because shelters are overcrowded. And the pet's last thoughts are wondering why they are without the comfort of their human companions, and then they think nothing.

There has to be a better way.

No comments :