Sunday, February 11, 2007

The Messengers

I'm not going to review this film. It was 90 minutes, what can I possibly say about a 90 minute film? I will say that unless you know a little bit of animal symbolism, the title will make no sense to you (psst: it's the crows). There were plot holes too, but again, 90 minutes. The expectation wasn't high to begin with!

I went to work yesterday, and instead of going home, eating lunch, doing my laundry, and maybe taking a nap, I went right to Monty's office and proceeded to spend the rest of the day not getting anything done.

Sometimes, it's really hard to hang out with Monty at all. He's my friend and I value him in that capacity, but he always tends to spend our outings talking about his career plans, his financial situation, and the new sound that the baby made yesterday. Admittedly, those are the things old friends should be talking about when catching up. But it's hard to take it from him. There are several reasons for this.

One is that Monty often starts talking about his personal deadlines as if 20 years later is really tomorrow. I don't need to be reminded that I'm not getting younger, thank you.

He also often speaks in this low, depressed tone, like a part of his life was missing and he doesn't know where it went (that may be just so, he sacrificed a lot of his life when his first son, my godson, was born). But from where I sit, his life looks pretty rosy.

I suppose the truth is that there is a part of me that is envious of what he has. Probably a rather large part of me, really. He has everything I want; a job he enjoys, a house, a spouse, children. It always leaves me very depressed when he talks about how depressed he is. One of these days, I would like to have a conversation where he acknowledges the blessings he has.

I'm a simple person at heart. I don't need fortune and glory. I just want a home of my own, to teach a child the concept of language, and someone by my side on those cold snowy nights.

Be thankful for what you have, you are blessed to have it. Even if the grass looks greener on the other side of the fence.

I am thankful for my job, something which I know many are without. I am thankful for my parents, and that they let me continue to live in their home. Even so, I am 100% certain that any self-respecting person does not dream about having my life.

No comments :