Wednesday, February 21, 2007

You Want to What? Now???

There was a leak in the water pipes, beneath the street, between my home and the neighbor's house. Pipes that were replaced not even a year ago. This leak had been there for some time: a month or more. It got double sanded when we had the ice storm last week.

I haven't been sleeping well lately. That happens every now and then, I've got a lot to do, and prep for my weekend, and hard to sleep with no power. It happens.

Yesterday, I said to myself, "I am going to go to bed early (maybe) and get a good night's sleep!" Going to bed early didn't happen only because I stayed up to watch NCIS.

According to my mother and our neighbors, three big blue trucks showed up around 1330 and started messing with the area around the leak. They took up most of the road to do it in. Around dinner time, they were no where to be found, and the leak was still leaking. That's ok, they were planning to come back and fix it. At 2100! If you remember, owing to my 0415 mornings, 2100 is my bed-time.

Yes, this is when the blue-truck people came back with a big digger and some spot lights and proceeded to fix the pipe. They positioned the lights just so they shined right into my bedroom window. Then they hammered at and dug into the street. BANG! BANG! BANG! The force of this digging caused the house to shake.

I wasn't going to compete with bangs and a shaking house, so I got up and did some work on the computer for a while (new image coming to my website soon™), until about 2230, when I just couldn't take it any more and had to try to sleep.

The light was bright. The rain was coming down. The engines of their equipment idled away. They banged and clanked and dug and did whatever they had to do to fix the leak, fill in the hole, and get out of here. The whole process took four hours. That's right, they finally turned their annoying lights off and took their loud trucks elsewhere at 0100. Then I got to sleep.

My parents didn't have to deal with the light (being in a bedroom on the back of the house), but they were kept awake by the sounds. Who's stupid idea was it to fix that leak when people are trying to sleep on a weeknight?? Oh, we were not happy. So not happy, in fact, that the wonderful water utility got a complaint from everyone in my household and our neighbor. Do it during the day when no one is home and won't miss the water being turned off, when you have light, no rain, and are very unlikely to be keeping people awake. STUPID!!

And soon, I'll try that actual sleeping thing again.

No comments :