Thursday, September 01, 2005

The Last Night

The Wednesday Night Racing Series came to a close last night. And such a close! Lots of wind, lots of waves, it was great! And wet....

Our standings are not great (they weren't on the last boat I sailed either) but that's not why my dad and I sail. It's for the wind and the water, for the boat and the crew, and for the spectacular sunsets that so many people go through their lives never noticing.

This time of year makes me very sad. I miss the boat I sailed on for 10 years, I miss the good times had there, and I miss the captain who was my friend very dearly. At the same time, I am so thankful for our current captain, who allowed my dad and I to sail on his boat, so we didn't have to stop experiencing the wonders that sailing on the Chesapeake Bay has to offer.

For on the deck, my Captain lies....