Thursday, September 29, 2005

A Scary Thought

I have been in communication with an old friend of a friend. We'll call this person Rain. Rain was asking for information about our friend (who remains mine, though it no longer theirs).

WE INTERRUPT THIS BLOG BECAUSE WE SUDDENLY REMEMBERED SOMETHING THAT WE NEED TO DO!!

My friend, if you are reading (the friend with whom I worked for by special request this summer and is responsible for the kayaks. Yeah, you.) It's about those jobs this summer, I have an important W-2 question, don't let me forget!

THANK YOU, NOW BACK TO YOUR REGULARLY SCHEDULED BLOG!

We'll call this other friend Les. Rain wanted information about Les, because Rain wanted to know 'the truth' about what happened between them. I told Rain I would say what I knew only if it did not break any confidences I had with Les, and would bring harm to no one.

I did just that, I told Rain what I knew of the situation, based on what Les had told me (which wasn't much) and withholding the information that I thought should not be shared for either of the aforementioned reasons. Rain had their own version of the situation to tell me, and ask me to confirm those things. I told Rain I could not, I could only take as true what my good friend told me.

The reason I'm telling this story is because recent information has been brought to my attention from someone whom I would always expect to tell me the truth; that someone is Les. What's the scary thought? I'm starting to think that Rain might be right. Which means Les, with whom I've been friends for seven years or so, was not telling the truth.

I don't know how to take that at all. I don't know what to do with it. And I don't like it one bit. I try to be truthful always in word and deed, I expect no less from my friends. If you cannot tell me the truth, there is no friendship there. The explaination I got from Les was some drove about the heart wanting things, that still didn't answer the question I put to Les to be answered, why was I told no when the answer was yes?

I can't be a part of someone's life who thinks it's ok to lie to me because of pride or fear or whatever. That is not a friendship. I am counting on my friend to give me a better explanation of the situation when we meed face-to-face (whenever that may be), and I may find it is not so bad and I can be forgiving. However, judging from Les' last communication, this does not look promising at all.