Friday, March 20, 2009

What Were You Thinking

When I came into work today, there was a message on my voicemail. It was transferred to me at 1849 by another employee who knows I leave the office at 1530. Normally, that's no big deal, except that the person who left the message was angry because she had been getting the run-around in various departments throughout the company for a week. Why, why, why would someone transfer a person who is upset at getting so many voicemails to yet another voicemail? Especially since I am not a supervisor or manager, so complaints shouldn't be coming to me, and I couldn't help her with the initial problem she was calling about anyway.

I'm pretty angry too. I'm angry for that client and the difficult time she had getting her problem fixed (it did manage to get fixed before I returned her call this morning), I'm angry at all the coworkers in our office and others who didn't get back to her in a timely manner, and I'm angry at the final coworker who transferred her to me, especially since there is nothing that I do that that person cannot also do. That last step ("the icing on the very nasty cake" according to the client) was unnecessary and an example of extremely poor service.

I told her I would make sure my manager knew of her trial and I would try to find out a better point of contact if she should have a problem in the future.

I know I'm not the best person when it comes to providing customer service, but come on! No one should have to go through what that person went through, especially when the company she was representing pays us for a service. Unbelievable.

No comments :