Friday, July 13, 2007

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Movie #5)

Wow. What can I say? Oh, I know.

WARNING! THIS POST MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS!

Ok, I know I'm a few days behind everyone else, but that's life! (thanks, OBC.)

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix actually had very little to do with the Order of the Phoenix. This movie might have been better titled 'Harry Potter and the Annoying Dreams' or 'Harry Potter in his New Defence Against the Dark Arts Job.'

Don't get me wrong, it was very well done. The acting was great. I really enjoyed watching Luna, she was very fun. And I could sense a real affection between Harry and Sirius: scenes with the two of them together were just great (never mind that Gary Oldman is one of my favorite actors). Some of that fellowship was in the scenes that included Lupin as well. There was not a whole lot of Malfoy in this film, but he didn't have a large part in the book either. Maybe they were trying to say that Harry and Malfoy were somewhat moving out of that rivalry, they've both got bigger enemies (however real or perceived they may be). Umbridge was just horrid, so well played. There were a few times you wish you could just swish and flick something at her. Wonderful.

I was very disappointed in the music. The familiar "Hedwig's Theme" had one hint of appearance at the beginning and that was it. Particularly as the credits rolled, the music they played was too happy, extremely out of place. The work of John Williams that we've come to expect and tie to Harry Potter was just not there.

This one had a new screenplay writer and a new director. It lacked the artsiness of Movie #3, but they were able to include some really superb dueling scenes. There's nothing like watching wizards battle, I think. Remember the intensity in the Fellowship of the Ring? The battle at the end was quite riveting, even if you had read the book and knew what was to happen. However, I did notice the free use of the levicorpus spell, which was discovered by Harry in the margins of the Half-Blood Prince's potion book. Tiny bit of continuity-lacking there. I wasn't all that impressed with the costuming either. One assumes they would be in their school uniforms while school was in session. There were a few times when the uniformed students mixed with street clothed students. What's the point of uniforms at all, then?

I think it was done very well for what they had to work with. And it's worth a second look at least.

And...I did cry a little.... They killed my favorite character! What do you expect?! Cried when I read it too.....

No comments :