Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Transformers The (Second) Movie

I don't know where to begin!

The previews of this film got people who knew nothing about Transformers excited to see it. They also got people who knew the Transformers universe inside and out and all the levels in between excited to see it. While I'm not a complete expert, I am a fan. My brother and I watched the cartoons and the first movie and had the toys and all that jazz. I had my favorites and he had his (none of my favorites were in the film, maybe next time!). I know enough about the universe to recognise where changes were made.

I'm not going to say anything here that you wouldn't have known if you read any of the pre-release articles and information about the film. If you saw some of that, you might have known that Bumblebee transformed into a Camaro, not a Beetle (minor detail, it worked. And the Beetle did get an honorable mention in the film, so to speak). And it doesn't matter that Frenzy transforms into a CD boombox instead of one of Soundwave's tapes (Soundwave, by the way, doesn't make an appearance). And it makes more sense that Megatron transforms into a jet rather than a gun that Starscream could hold (that didn't make sense in the cartoons either). Actually, the Transformers that we do see all got a modern upgrade for the film. Consider Prime's awesome blue flame paint job, that you could see in the previews.

The CGI was wonderful and seamless. The soundtrack was great. There was lots of action. It was somewhat long (over two hours) but even though it seemed like there was a lot of build-up to the end, there was never a dull moment.

Now, there is one Easter egg that Transformers fans should notice. Prime has a line near the end that was taken directly from the first movie. Yes, yes, Megatron has a line that was often repeated in the cartoon/comic/first movie, but that doesn't count as trivia because we expect him to say it.

I hope I get a chance to see this again in the theater, I thought it was all around great!

No comments :