Sunday, August 24, 2008

Uncooperative Project

I woke up pretty late this morning (comparatively speaking), and threw some laundry in the wash, emptied the dishwasher, and went through my fabric. I have a tone of this gorgeous plush velvet, and that's inspired me to do another doll. The velvet reminds me of a nice warm cloak, so I want to do a winter doll (which will probably translate into all four seasons). Unfortunately, I only have black, green, and burgundy in this velvet; I really wish I had some blue. That would make it perfect.

In any event, I went through my fabric. I probably won't end up using the plush velvet at all, but I do have a nice white crushed velvet that will make a fine winter cloak too.

The base dolls that I've been able to find lately have all had this super-annoying glittery make-up. It's really really hard to get glitter paint off a doll and, while I was working, the black eyelashes smudged into one of the doll's eyes. That means the entire eye will have to come off. I tend to do partial repaints, that is, painting over the factory paint where I can because it makes the finished paint job much more symmetrical than if I did the whole thing free-hand. What's extra annoying about this is that the other eye did not get smudged with black and did not have to be completely removed. So, I have two options. I can re-paint the removed eye using the factory paint eye as a guide, then remove that and re-paint that one. Or, I can scrap the winter doll and turn this one into a pirate. Phoenix and one of my coworkers both suggested the latter.

I've done a complete re-paint before, on one of the dolls that I don't have pictures for yet, but I just don't prefer it. Maybe I'll give it a try and if it doesn't work, I'll go with the pirate idea. I've seen some people do truly horrible full re-paints on their dolls. I refuse to produce anything like that. Whatever ends up happening, it will work out just fine, even if plans have to change a bit.

No comments :