Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Evidence

By now, I'm sure you've heard that a certain electronics store is going out of business. I rarely went to Circuit City as it is, but there's one just down the road with a big "going out of business" sign on the window. Phoenix and I decided to go and see what they had to offer in their liquidation, everything-must-go sale.

They're not trying to get rid of things that badly; they're only offering 10-30% off, most of it is 10. They're apparently not allowed to negotiate, which is fine. However, if I pick up a game and the sticker on the front of that game indicates that the price is $29.99, I'm expecting to pay at least that. Imagine my surprise when the thing rang up at $35.99. I pointed out the sticker, the cashier called the manager, the manager said they have to go by what the computer says and it was probably an old sale price. What the fuck?

I gave five years of my life to retail. I know that the price that the customer sees, unless there is an expiration date affixed to it, is the price they pay. It wasn't a sale price, it was stuck on the box that was in the secure plastic thing. And there was an identical price tag on the other one on the shelf.

With service like that, no wonder they're going out of business. And I hope that idiot manager learns a little more about customer service before her next employment.

Good riddance, I say.

No comments :