Saturday, September 20, 2008

Happy Mabon

Also sometimes just called the Autumnal Equinox, this is the second harvest before winter. Generally regarded as the vegetable harvest, it is also the thanksgiving celebration. Much like the American tradition in November, it is a time to give thanks to the Lord and Lady for their bounty and blessings.

I was unable to join the ministry for this sabbat because of a seasonal weekend job. This also made a ritual of my own not very feasible. After a hard day of working, however, a group of us get together for a very late dinner. I used that time to thank the gods and the planet for their many gifts.

I learned a meal blessing a few years ago that I use regularly, but most especially before the harvest feasts. I tend to write it frequently, though I cannot remember where I learned it, so you may have already seen it, and you may see it again.

Thanks to the Lord for the food we eat
Thanks to the Lady for her gifts so sweet
Thanks to the farmers who laboured long
Thanks to the animals for their bodies strong
Thanks to the hands that prepared our meal
Thanks to all who turn the Wheel

No comments :