Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Coldest Day on Record

So far this year, that is.

Yesterday, I awoke to the mumbled sounds of my parents talking about something. Dad usually gets up after me, and I usually get up a good ten minutes after my mother leaves the house, except on weekends, of course! I knew it was Monday. I couldn't quite make out what they were saying. I heard mom very muffled with dad's occasional, loud "yep" interjections. It was still a good forty-five minutes before my alarm was going to go off, so I stayed in bed, wondering what the fuss was about but unwilling to investigate just yet.

Then, I started to notice that my face and shoulders were cold. Then, I realized that I hadn't heard the heat come on in a while. The power wasn't out, but it was definitely cold in my room (it was all warm and toasty in the covers). Well, there's the problem! The strong, window-rattling wind from the night before might have knocked out the power at one point and, though it was back, the heat pump was not pumping heat.

After the alarm did go off, I scrambled out of bed into the cold room, into the cold work-out clothes, and into a cold hoodie. The thermometer on my closet pointed defiantly at 60°. Burr! I was most concerned about my ectothermic anoles, but I knew the light would come on eventually and give them some warmth, and it was still quite humid in their little home.

Thankfully, when I got home, the fan had been fixed and heat was pumping again, whatever the problem was. I hope that doesn't happen again! But, on the bright side, we did still have power. So, if the heat is going to go away, at least there are still space heaters.

No comments :