Monday, December 03, 2007

This is Going to Sound Heartless and Uncompassionate

But I'm going to say it anyway.

Young men and women get shot and killed by the hundreds every day in the war zones of Iraq and Afghanistan, but we never hear their names. However, if a young athlete gets shot and killed, his name is all over the news for days.

Don't get me wrong, I was sad for that athlete's family a week ago, but enough already. Everyone laments the loss of someone who was good at football, but no one sings for the real heroes who fight and die in our name every day, in conditions that are the stuff of nightmares. And many who do come home can't leave it behind, and many take their own life afterwards to be free of those horrors.

Priorities are a little skewed.

To those real heroes, I will sing for you.

2 comments :

Anonymous said...

No I agree & it does not.
Fox

Unknown said...

Thank you. That does make me feel better about it.

It's a real shame that what makes week-long news is the person who had fame, not the people who had honor and courage the likes of which the average person can only read about.