Friday, December 14, 2007

When the Time is Right

Many years ago, I lost touch with a very dear friend. I have tried all manner of ways to locate her, including old e-mail addresses, searching known aliases, and having a contact at the Census Bureau look up her last known address. She has a rather uncommon first name and a very common last name, you would think she'd be easy to track down. Alas, there has never been a response to any of my letters or e-mails.

I wrote a spell to attempt to get in touch with her again. In my case, it's simple because my address and phone number have not changed since I knew her.

You need some paper, a writing utensil, and an envelope. You can add whatever other tools you want to this mix; the simple way includes a cauldron and a candle. I used the brick fireplace in the house.

Cast your circle, sit comfortably, and write your friend a letter. Write it like you would if you were going to send it in the mail. Tell her everything you want to tell her; catch up on old times, give me a call, anything. When you are done writing, seal it in the envelope. I embellished mine with a wax seal. Then, light your letter in the candle flame, and place it in the cauldron to burn out (or toss it into the fire in the fire place). As it burns, see your words rise up with the smoke, to be caught by the wind and carried to your absent friend. Know that she will hear your words. Whether she acts upon them is up to her.

While Esbats are reserved for spellworking, you don't have to wait for an Esbat for all spell working. The time just happened to be right for me to do this last night. There was a fire in the hearth and the rest of the house had gone to bed, so I was not disturbing anyone. We had left the fire to die down on its own. The waxing moon was also just fine to carry a message (it may make sense if you think of your message as traveling to your friend, just as the moon is traveling to fullness). The brick fireplace is also on a South wall, the direction of fire, making it very appropriate as this spell taps the energy and determination of fire.

I wrote my letter and placed it on the log. I felt the heat as the paper burned, I could see my message being carried up the flue to the wind outside that would take it to my friend. Whether she contacts me or not, I know she will get my message and know I am thinking about her.

No comments :