Sunday, January 06, 2008

Bright and Sunny Thoughts for the Morning

People say I'm lucky to be alone. I can make my own plans and I don't have to answer to anyone. They're wrong. It means I don't have any freedom. I don't have the income to live on my own and so must live with my parents. It's a lot like being married to my parents. I'm rarely without them, and while I love them dearly, I'm going nowhere in this house. Most days, I'd rather be dead than face the fact that I'm useless in taking care of myself. And now I must listen to my parents telling me the modulars I've been looking at are not good investments. I know this; they tend to go down in value, not up. But I don't want to buy a house that I'm going to be able to sell some day and make money. I want to buy a house where I can live.

Mortgage calculators say I can afford about $100,000. That's lovely. If only builders would start building $100,000 homes instead of the $7-800,000 monstrosities we have here. My parents house, which they bought for $52,000, was appraised at $300,000 and change. Look at that, it's...still too much. I could buy a piece of crap place in Richmond, they've got houses that are near falling down for about $52,000, but where would I work?

I have no talent, no special skills that anyone would be willing to pay for. I will always be working for The Man. They say this area is great for young, single professionals. I'd really like to know where they live and where they work, because I just can't find anything. Sure, I could rent that studio in Dale City for about $700, and add a good twenty miles to my already life-draining commute while simultaneously eliminating my car pool.

I know there are people who have it a lot worse off than me. I'd like to know where they live and work too, actually. Where do those people go who have no one but themselves to depend on?

Being the only person in my family to finish college isn't worth shit. I've failed miserably at living.

No comments :