Tuesday, January 29, 2008

The Old College Try

That's what they say.

I went, I spouted out my piece (the parts of it that didn't cower in fear in the black corners of my memory), chatted with the auditors, spouted out my piece again at their request (this time even more of it had retreated, never to be heard from again), said thank you, and went to the store so I could spend the rest of the morning watching Naggy and Vox hunting.

It was glee! I cleaned out the cricket keeper and put the new guys in. Then I dropped a few into the tank with the dragons, and off they went! Filled with new life, the thrill of the hunt, and the yummy cricket-treat for their victories! I just love those guys.

I'm not expecting to get a call back. I know I could do better. It's a shame that so much rides on the audition, because that's not an accurate reflection of how I actually work. But, I'd regret it forever if I didn't even try. For that alone, it was success. Not as successful as my anoles hunting, but success nonetheless. And who knows, they could call me back anyway. I'm not holding my breath, though. I'm sure they saw many more people who would work out better than me. And I came away with something I've learned, so all is not lost.

No comments :