Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Why Do People Not Listen to Me

I know I'm not right all the time. But, I tend to be more observant than the average Jane Public, and I know my job.

So, I just don't understand why no one is listening when I say that a reject code of "individual ID number" means name, not account number (because there is an actual reject code of "account number").

OBC sends payments to some merchants electronically, no checks are printed. If there is a problem with the information transmitted, the merchant will reject the payment, basically sending it back to us with some kind of notification about what was wrong with it. The electronic returns team gets the rejects, tries to get the correct information so we can resend the payment, and sends it to me for updating. There have been a lot of things recently rejecting with the "invalid individual ID number" code. The reps in electronic returns look at that, think account number, and tell me to create a check merchant because the customer says the account number is right.

The thing is, I've seen this reject code before, on the official notifications of change (WAM's regular work that I have to back up in her absence) that we get from banks. When the banks (also electronic merchants) indicate "individual ID number," they mean the name on the account.

I told this to Adolf, because the electronic returns team is having me create checks when the payments are fine electronic (this hurts our bottom line, you see). They are just looking at the wrong information and therefore are not researching the right correction. Adolf, being a good little super, sent my findings off to the supervisor and senior rep of that group. The senior rep gave some prattle about the invalid account number code and an issue with how the checks are made payable. But, the checks are not being made payable, because there are no checks!

I am right about this, and I know it. And I think Adolf has learned enough about how I work by now to also know that I am right. Now, I just have to convince them of that!

Listen to me, people! I know what I'm talking about!

No comments :