Thursday, June 28, 2007

The Irony

While I was out this weekend, I mentioned that my ankle still hurt. Remember when I injured it in the kayak on Memorial Day? It still causes pain. Quite a lot of pain. The longer I stand or walk on hard surfaces, or the harder I put my foot down, the more pain it is. It hurts if I lightly touch the still visibly bruised area. Fae observed that I might have actually broken something if it still hurts like that after a month.

After Saturday of walking all day on the hard festival pavement (PARF is paved, where all others I've been to are not), my ankle just throbbed. I'm starting to believe she may be right.

This is almost exactly what happened when I broke the fifth metatarsal in my right foot in 1991. The act of injury hurt, but after that, it only hurt when I pressed on it. I was young, and so I lied. I told everyone it hurt a lot, and my mother took me to a podiatrist. I remember thinking "uh-oh, they're going to find out I'm faking!" No one was more surprised than me to find it broken! This is just like that (except I'm not pretending that it hurts more than it does, I've long grown out of that common child affliction!).

I've been trying to get an appointment with a podiatrist or orthopedic doctor just to get checked out, make sure it's really not broken, that kind of thing. This is proving to be an impossible task. Every single office in my area is booked for some three weeks. By that time, if there actually was a fracture, it'd be pointless to go because it would have healed on its own by then.

It's ironic that I'm actually trying to see a doctor, she who avoids doctors as much as possible, and they are just not available. I guess I need to find a more rigid brace and hope it heals itself.

So, does anyone have any advice on how to deal with a month-old injury just above the medial malleolus that could be broken, but I'll never know?

1 comment :

Willow Goldentree said...

Glen broke his hand once by slamming it in the trunk of his car. He kept it wrapped up in a homemade brace and wrap and by the time he went to the doctor's they couldn't do anything about it. Umm..so...no, even after something similar, I don't know what to say. I will say that if it still hurts when you get here, you can use my cool elephant cane! :P